Miranda Community Garden (or the MCG)
The Miranda Community Garden was started in early 2010 on a block of land adjacent to and owned by the Gymea Miranda Uniting Church. The aims of the Miranda Community Garden (MCG) are: to connect with people of similar interests; to share gardening knowledge and ideas; to have fun and help each other; and, last but not least, to grow fresh vegetables, fruit, etc in a sustainable way. The concept is for a true Community Garden in which members share gardening, maintenance and produce. Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate. At present we have about 30 enthusiastic members, the majority from outside the church congregation. Membership fees are currently $30 per year – concessional rates may apply. To date over 20 garden beds are in operation and some more are planned. We continue to harvest lots of vegetables to date including beans, spinach, potatoes, corn, tomatoes and lots more. Also we have installed a rainwater tank, garden edging, paths and multiple compost bins.
· Gardening takes place every Wednesday and Saturday morning commencing at about 9 am.
· All interested people are invited to get involved.
· Enquiries welcome - please phone either Brian on 0421 868 030, Marise on 9526.7920 or Sally on 0412 682 159.
The Miranda Community Garden now has an active Facebook page. Please check it out.
Community Development Symposium Presentation
The Miranda Community Garden made a presentation at the Community Development Symposium held at Centenary Uniting Church in North Parramatta on June 20. A copy of our PowerPoint slides follows: Click here (PDF 4.4Mg)
Shire Farmers' Market.
The Miranda Community Garden participated in the Shire Farmers' Market at Sutherland on 9 July 2016. Some photos of our stall follow.
Grants. The Miranda Community Garden gratefully acknowledges various grants that have been received over the years to help establish and improve the garden. Grants have been received from:
- Second Chance (an outreach of the Gymea-Miranda Uniting Church) for $2000 in 2010;
- Uniting Church New Missional Gatherings Seed Fund ($5000 in 2010)
- Sutherland Shire Council Annual Community and Arts Grants Program ($3080 in 2013, $7540 plus GST in 2014 and $5947 in 2016).
- In addition the Garden gratefully acknowledges the kind annual donations by Bunnings (Caringbah) of equipment and supplies to support the Garden.